This full colour book is a new approach to teaching and learning product design based on a step-by-step learning program developed for students of varying educational levels. It is an easy to understand work on the design process, design language, design thinking, design methods, design skills and design knowledge. It is configured to encourage and motivate self-directed learning in design for students taking Design and Technology courses in high schools and colleges, as well as for students in TAFE, polytechnic and first and second year, university level art and design programs. It goes beyond this to also reach students and teachers in engineering and architecture courses. The book’s contents and layout reflect the teaching and learning methods in design that the author has developed over the last thirty years, firstly at RMIT, then at Monash University, the University of Canberra and universities overseas. The book is also suitable for design enthusiasts who are interested in taking self-motivated studies on an informal basis. It demystifies the design process so that practically anyone interested in design can understand and gain from the material presented which includes clearly explained case studies, an extensive bibliography and a detailed index.
Elivio Bonollo PhD (Melb), CPEng MIEAust, CEng MIET is one of Australia’s leading industrial design educators and researchers.
* In 2008 he was conferred with the Honour of Cavaliere by the President of the Republic of Italy in recognition of his collaborative work in design and education.
* He is Emeritus Professor of Industrial Design at the University of Canberra (UC).
* He was recently Visiting Professor in the School of Design and Environment (2004–2007), and the Department of Mechanical Engineering (2007) at the National University of Singapore (NUS).
* He is also a visiting professor in the Faculty of Applied Art and Design at Ubon Rajathanee University, Thailand.
* He was Foundation Professor of Industrial Design at UC (1997–2002) and a pro vice-chancellor (1999–2001).
* Earlier he was Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Design (1997–98).
* Elivio (Livio) was Professor and Director of the Centre for Industrial Design at Monash University (1989–96) and before this senior lecturer in charge of industrial design in the Faculty of Art at RMIT (1979–89).
* He is the founder of the industrial design discipline at Monash University and the principal author of the original industrial design degrees at RMIT (1982) and Monash University (1989).
After a cadetship at General Motors Holden in Melbourne, he began his teaching career at RMIT as a lecturer in the Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering before moving on to the Department of Design in 1979. He has taught and consulted in many universities including appointments as external examiner in design at Ngee Ann and Temasek Polytechnics in Singapore.